Business Tax Guidelines
is defined as: Any person, corporation, partnership, or other legal entity which
exerts substantial efforts within the unincorporated limits of Chatham County, engages in, causes to be
engaged in, and/or represents or holds out to the public to be engaged in any occupation or activity with
the object of gain or benefit, either directly or indirectly. Requires a Business Tax Certificate
within 30 days of commencing business activity.
- Fees are determined using the North
American Industry Classification System Class Codes. A Clerk will assist in finding the
correct Business Code Class.
- For new businesses, applicants estimate their gross receipt bracket using the Business Tax Schedule.
The Bracket and Class will determine the fee.
- New Tax Certificates issued between July 1st and December 31st are prorated to one
half (1/2) of the yearly rate.
- Administrative fees, regulatory fees, and businesses designated as seasonal are NOT
- Flat Fee: Certain Practitioners of the Professions may elect to pay $400
per practitioner in lieu of reporting and paying a tax on the profitability ratio.
See application form for list.
For further details, please view the
Tax License Brochure
Checks, cash, credit cards, or money orders accepted. Checks should be made payable to Chatham
County. Cashier closes at 4pm.
Business Tax Forms
Business Tax Packets
Business Tax Individual Forms